As of Wednesday, I've been in Arizona for a whole month. I can tell you exactly how many days I have spent sleeping on dirt, hiking in the Tonto National Forest, eating lentils and rice, staring up at the stars, smelt like camp fire smoke, being eaten alive by bugs at night and carrying self made packs for about 20+ miles a week.
Days spent out in the middle of nowhere: 20
Days spent in civilization: 10
I've spent 20 days working for an outdoor wilderness therapy program. 20 long, sweaty during the day, and freezing at night, days. I spent 4 of those days completely SOAKED and freezing. I've spent 16 days working with young people who have made poor choices in their lives and need a new beginning. I've had sittings (ANASAZI lingo, listening and talking) with them, I've listened with them, I've cooked with them, I've laughed with them, I've hugged them, I've loved them, I've served them, I've hiked with them, I've slept on the same uncomfortable ground with them, I've dry camped with them, I've drank out of two NASTY NASTY cow tanks (I'm talking STRAIGHT mud where we were literally filtering it with a bandana and it still tasted like mud and smoke ((YUCK!))! and another where there were leeches... yuck!), I've gone swimming in some amazing natural swimming holes, I've seen some BEAUTIFUL mountains and scenery... moments where I wish I had my camera because the creations that the Creator (ANASAZI lingo, GOD/Heavenly Father/Jesus Christ) created were breath taking, I've had some beautiful awakenings (ANASAZI lingo, aka realizations), I've checked my traps (ANASAZI lingo, using the restroom) using leaves and rocks, I've stayed up late and kept an eye out for the safety of my Young Walkers (ANASAZI lingo, the youth who come through the program, also known as YW), I've had my own battle scars like getting stabbed with a poisons cactus called sentry where whatever it stabs makes it go numb... My arm was numb for 6 days, HA!, I've twisted my ankle going down a crazy canyon called Bronco where it started to POUR rain on us while hiking and we had to scale down a 60 ft. waterfall, I've slept in a wool blanket and a burrito which is like the shell of sleeping bag, I've had fire circles (ANASAZI lingo, it's where we have a discussion around the fire each night regarding a specific topic), I FINALLY made my own spoon!!!!! and I've received so many bruises that people might start to wonder if I'm getting abused!
In 20 days, I've done all that. But let me tell you what I've done in my 10 days OFF the trail!
In the 10 days I've been off the trail, I've hung out with my family! I helped them move into our new house, I've settled into my room, I've eaten a TON of Cafe Rio because there's one right down the street from the ANASAZI office, I've eaten some AMAZING home cooked meals (so glad to have those back! MMmmmmMMM!!!), I learned that my little brother joined the high school DIVING team!? (CRAZY right!?), I've gone cliff jumping... which I've also learned I'm a big baby about... I can't do anything higher than 5 feet, and even then I scream like a little girl, I've been taking pictures, I've seen my old shadow, I've tested out a few new wards to figure out where I should go, I've been trying to figure out where the heck I live... which means I've also gotten VERY lost in the process, and I've spent some AMAZING nights with my new friends.
So, as you can see, it's been a VERY busy month. I can't believe that it's been a month already... it just blows my mind! I love the trail, I love where I'm at, and I'm loving where my life is headed. It's difficult to not grow in an environment where everyone is growing and changing for the better. I love my life!
I miss the Bay, and I miss everyone back there, but I know that the Creator has me here for a reason... so I will continue to follow Him and His plan, for I know he knows me better and can see the bigger picture.
I am Singing Sun Stone, and I have spoken
No comments:
Post a Comment