Sunday, March 4, 2012

50 Things You Should Teach Your Daughter



So, I was on pintrest tonight and I saw this article about 15 things you should teach your daughter before she turns 18. Some of them were brilliant, and some of them were just blah. But then as I kept looking through the list that other people had added, I decided to make my own list. These are things that I think applies to ALL girls, no matter what age or where they are at in life. Enjoy and feel free to add your own if you choose to!


1. Scissors are to be used for opening bags of chips, not for your hair. Especially NOT your bangs. EVER.

2. Never use bleach and ammonia at the same time. It creates a toxic gas that will cause you to suffocate.

3. Learn to use a fire extinguisher.

4. Do not ask a question you don’t want the answer to until you are emotionally ready to handle it. For example. “Do you love me?” or “Does this make me look fat?”

5. Good friends are the ones who tell you that your butt looks big in those jeans and that Suzy is making out with the guy you like. Keep them forever.

6. When you ask a man, “What are you thinking?” and he replies, “Nothing.” It’s true.

7. For every slice of pizza you eat you will need to run 30 minutes to burn it off. Two slices equals an hour. Three slices? An hour and a half. You get the idea. That doesn’t include the beer.

8. Learn to use jumper cables.

9. Nothing good happens after midnight

10. What happens in the dark always comes to light sooner or later!

11. Budgeting is the key to happiness.

12. The only thing you wash with white clothes? White clothes.

13. Don't let your guard down when you start dating some one, anyone can be good for two months, after that it becomes more difficult to put on an act

14. No one knows what they are going to be when they grow up. Just get a degree.

15. You can listen to everyone else's advice as much as you want but in the end you have to go with your gut, no matter what, go with your gut

16. Have a mind that is open to everything and attached to nothing

17. Don’t die with your music still in you

18. You cannot give away what you don’t have

19. Embrace silence

20. Give up your personal history

21. You cannot expect change without making changes

22. Forgive and forget

23. Treat yourself as the divine entity you are

24. Wisdom is avoiding all thoughts that weaken you

25. Life just isn't fair sometimes

26. By all means have a good time, but remember NOT to 'be' the story

27. You got your whole life to be married

28. There is no place for "Popular in High School" on a job resume.

29. Your not lucky to have him, he is lucky to have you.

30. Never marry a man you wouldn't be proud to have as a son.

31. Never marry a man who won't or can't pray with you.

32. Enjoying wonderful food is a joy. So is fitting into your favorite jeans. Practice moderation.

33. Do your best and do what seems right. If something doesn't turn out the way you wanted, ask yourself: did I do my best and what I thought was right? If so, don't look back. God is working on something for you. If not, keep trying-- you still have lessons to learn on this one.

34. Never cancel plans with a girlfriend to go out with a boy

35. You are leaving this house with a good name and reputation, you better return with it.

36. Even if you have a sliver of a doubt, whatever it is, don't do it

37. You should know how to change a tire, a gentleman will never let you.

38. You are greatly blessed, highly favored, and deeply loved by your Creator. You are the apple of His eye, the object of His affection. There is nothing He loves more than you! You are God's beloved...and mine.

39. Don't come home with anything you can't wash off

40. Don't try and grow up too fast, life will come sooner than you know.

41. Sometimes frogs are just frogs, wait until he proves to be a prince before you kiss him.

42. If you want out of a situation, I dont care how old you are, you can always use Mom for your scapegoat.

43. WEAR YOUR SEATBELT, PAY ATTENTION, WATCH OUT FOR THE OTHER GUY AND DRIVE CAREFUL.

44. Learn how to shake a hand properly. Hand extended all the way into the other person's hand, a firm grip and a brief shake with good eye contact and a wonderful smile

45. Learn to change a tire, check your oil and drive a stick. If you can do that, you'll never get stuck anywhere.

46. The only thing you should be doing when you're driving a car is DRIVING THE CAR.

47. Your parents may be annoying but they won't be around forever. Cherish them while you have the chance.

48. When you date a guy, pretend HE'S interviewing for the boyfriend position, not that YOU'RE interviewing for the girlfriend slot.

49. Look people in the eye when you talk to them.

50. Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. – Dr. Seuss

2 comments:

  1. Leav, you are going to be the awesomest Mom someday :) I love this. I could totally hear you reading the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I'm nervous about being a mom one day. I don't know how I could or can do it. It's a good thing that its far off and I've got lots of time, well, I home anyways! Haha. I think these are valuable lessons to learn no matter where you're at in life. Love you Rach!!!

    ReplyDelete