I hate my birthday.
Every year I think "Can we just skip it this year?"
It's always a sore subject for me, especially as it looms closer and closer each year.
Most people get excited about the birthday celebration! There's a lot to get excited about! Free food, the parties, the gifts, etc. Who am I to lie? I enjoy those things as well..... but I can honestly go buy food, throw a party for numerous other reasons AND I don't mind getting presents, but I'm at a point in my life where I can pretty much buy myself whatever I want/need.
Here's why I despise my birthday. Instead of looking at it as a celebration, I look at it as yet another year that I haven't done the things I thought I would do. I look at it as another failed year.
This year I'm going to be 25.
I'm not married.
I don't have kids.
I haven't graduated college.
I haven't reached goals I thought I would achieve in my career.
I don't own a house.
I don't have a huge savings account.
I haven't lost weight.
I haven't done anything on my bucket list.
I haven't made a difference.
I think you're starting to get the point... I could keep going, but I don't want to be Negative Nancy.
Every year, it's the same thing. I haven't gotten where I THOUGHT I would get. I haven't achieved the goals I thought I would surely achieve in that age.
So every year I've dreaded it... until THIS YEAR.
I have an awesome roommate, (actually, I have two, and I consider them two of my closest friends!) who was listening to me whine about my birthday and the lack of things I haven't accomplished this year while I was sprawled out on the couch (I just wanted to paint a visual for you guys!) and on the verge of tears.
She very lovingly pointed out somethings that I HAD done this year.
I bought a new car. On my own. Practically, my dream car to be honest. The car I had decided on years ago.
I got published in some big magazines.
I got to pick my niche in concert and entertainment photography.
I got camera equipment I used to think I would never get.
I got to work with some band/artists in ways I never thought I would.
I dated my FIRST LDS guy (nope. it didn't last. don't get your hopes up.)
I got a new job that is better in so many ways.
I learned how to put on make-up properly (you're welcome boys!)
I kept a New Years Resolution to try something new, which was horseback ridding, and I've done it for over a year, and I really love it!
And, there's a few other things... but I won't bore you with those triumphs.
As she pointed out these things, I realized that, ok, I wasn't where I thought I SHOULD be, but hey, I did OTHER things. Things that were JUST as good, or different, or cool. It may not have been on "the list" but... they never were going to GET on the list, because they were blessings and experiences I never could have imagined.
So, now that I was starting feel a little bit better about BEING 24, she proposed something new to me.
Instead of making a bucket list of things that I want to do before I die, she proposed that I make a list of things that I want to do WHILE I'm 25. Things that I want to accomplish in various ways. I have an entire year to get these things done. They range on price, time, experiences, etc. but they are all things that I want to accomplish sometime this year. It's kind of a gift that keeps on giving. I get to do something fun twice a month!
I normally don't share lists like this, but I thought it would be fun to share with you (yup! you!) and maybe you will join me on one of these experiences!
1) Hike Camelback
2) Rent a car. Like a really sweet car
3) Take an improv comedy class
4) Ride in a stretch limo
5) Have a complete spa day
6) Take a trip to somewhere I've never been. Alone.
7) Watch all the Star Wars movies
8) Go visit Mauna (aka: Best Friend) in Washington
9) Ride a full gallop
10) Enter an adult gymkhana and compete
11) Go to a rodeo and watch competitions
12) Surprise someone!
13) Go have a date night by myself. Movie, dinner, etc.
14) Teach someone something (un-photography related!)
15) Learn something new unrelated to photography. Something that I know very little about.
16) Do something that terrifies me. aka: conquer a fear
17) Eat a Ben and Jerrys Vermonster (or make one with friends and have them over to eat it. I'm not allowed to eat it alone!)
18) Get a manicure... WITH color
19) Go take a yoga class
20) Do a session in a new to me temple
21) Take a name through the temple from start to finish
22) Play a game of Top Golf
23) Jump/dive off of a diving board
24) Go volunteer somewhere
25) Go on a hot air balloon ride. Extra points if it's with a guy.
So there you have it! The list of things that I'm going to set out to accomplish for the next year.
It's going to be a fun year. I have something to look forward to. I have something to make me work this year.
All those other things like getting married, becoming a mom, reaching career goals etc, will all come in time. I can't rush those things, because if I was married right now..... well, let's just say I wouldn't have the blessings I do now. I'm grateful for where I'm at this year. I'm grateful for the experiences. I'm grateful for the friendships. I'm grateful for the trials. I'm grateful. I really am.
Here's a few pictures of the highlights from this year!
Hanging out with my guy friends the Property Brothers
New camera gear
Shooting Imagine Dragons tour at US Airways
The day I got signed to my photo agency, I celebrated with my favorite froyo, Zoyo!
My mom and I went to the VERY first session of the Gilbert, AZ Temple
I went to Telluride and went skiing
Went from Blonde to Red
Did my first Red Carpet
Renewed an important friendship
Hung out with my best friend in my favorite spot at the Fountains of Bellagio
Shot The Fray
My newest nephew John was born, and we took his first selfie!
Teaching one of my first nanny kids hot to take pictures with my camera
Visiting my nanny kids in San Francisco. They grow soooooooooo fast!
Got a new Smush
Said adios to my old car and BOUGHT A BRAND NEW ONE!
My dream car in SO many ways!!!
Hanging out with my buddies Drew and Gavi (Lindsey Stirling's band members) at the Summer Ends Music Festival
Shooting and working with American Authors and Capitol Cities
Took my friends through the Phoenix Temple Open House
One boy who has my heart..... Moose
Working with Luke Bryan. mmmmhmmmmm
Working the DirecTV Super Fan Fest at the Super Bowl
Hanging out with two of my favorite ladies, Lindsey and Brooke
Working with Dragons!
Did a session with my dad and brother in the Houston Temple
Got to visit two of my favorite teachers from High School
Met this INCREDIBLE woman who continues to teach me all the time
Did something completely crazy and awesome..... I participated in the Color Run
Got featured in the Imagine Dragons tour book
Worked NYE in Vegas
Got published in Berklee Magazine
Got to work with THE Colton Avery (remember the name. seriously)
Went to Disneyland and acted like I was 6 (let's be honest, I usually act like I'm 6)
Got to work with one of my FAVORITE mentors in Vegas, Erik Kabik
Love this beautiful teacher of mine! And I got to take her family photos too!
Said boy.
Got my first set of Merch made up. Leave it to Leavitt GUITAR PIC STICKERS!
Worked with my favorites, Firefly and Alex Boye
More Superbowl stuff
So there it is! 24 has been pretty good to me! Let's see what you've got 25!
xoxo
The new 25 year old











Yay Leavitt!!! That list is AWESOME. I can't wait to hear all about it, you'd better post more, lady! ;) And it sounds like you have the best roomies in the universe. I'm so glad you found happy things to think about and do and that your career is going SO FREAKING AMAZINGLY WELL! You're wonderful and I love you and miss you. Happy birthday!!!!
ReplyDelete